A Modern Girl's Musings

My earliest political memory is of my parents laughing at me when I asked if we were voting for Ronald Reagan. Even I could tell poor Carter wasn't looking so good. I was about five. I think the laughter was accompanied by something along the lines of "for crying out loud!"

Nevertheless I consider myself a Reagan Baby. Those eight years of my childhood were spent realizing that there was still a lot of work to be done, despite Dr. King, in addition to the Kennedys (a lot of them were still alive then), and hopefully including me (if my Quaker education by the hippies was teaching me anything at all).

So after Reagan, after Clinton, after hiding in those Bushes, I am still hopeful, I am still working on my addition, I'm still on my way to a new way of living in this world.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Letter to a Dear Friend


Dear Time Out,
I wish I could use you just for obnoxious behavior without having to give reasons or a time limit or ask the "do you know why you're in time out" end of time out question. She knows why, despite her claiming otherwise.
Instead I will use you the way you are intended.  Supernanny will be proud.
I know there is a method called time IN!  Where the parent sets up a nice place for "someone" to chill out and relax with books and pillows, given the theory that when "someone" acts up and out, it is because she is feeling stressed and out of control.  But that seems rather swank when that someone has just spat in my "general area", whimpers and whines, and willfully chases and pushes her brother, who is learning to count early because said "someone" gets lots of 1-2-3's to self correct and yet we are still always using 1-2-3's. 
Dear Time Out, I shudder to think you will be with us for a long time to come, because the boy-boy has started to yell and stamp is feet at me.
Have a nice day, Time Out.  It is 8 AM and we have already seen you this morning.  I am sure we will see you again soon.  Until then, Time Out, until then...
Yours,
A. Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment